Saturday, February 14, 2015

The Birder In Me

I've always liked birds ever since I was younger. I used to say that if I were a non-human object, I would be a bird soaring freely across the sky, seeing the world with a bird's eye-view.




I would love to go birding in their natural habitat but weightier responsibilities occupy most of my time. So I learned to be content with watching the birds that fly around here or those that I spot when we travel. For the time being. Someday, I know, I  will have all the time in the world to look for all the birds in the world and study their nature. For now, if I want to see birds from far-away places, I'd just visit some birding sites, some of which are in my blog list, and I'm satisfied to view and read about them.

In winter, I keep my eyes open for birds that thrive in this season. I don't go in quest of them but I'm on the alert for those that move around here.

One of my favorites is the waxwing. This winter, I watched huge flocks of them swirling together around the towering birch trees, then perching in groups on the highest twigs. I had the chance to observe them one day after my work. One group would swoop down on a berry-laden rowan tree, swiftly foraging the berries, then soared back to the treetops and let another group do the same. They took turns by groups to partake of this little festivity.










When the rowan trees have been stripped of berries and the birds apparently had their fill, they would all perch still as if ruminating on the delish berries just ingested. Ahh...a still, quiet moment to capture them with my camera!


 
















And then they would start out, swirling around the trees like a cloud and flying away to their next destination. What a depiction of harmony and togetherness!






Other winter birds I captured while at work or walking are the bullfinches, great tits and sparrows.












"Observe intently the birds of heaven;  
they do not sow seed or reap or gather into storehouses, 
yet your heavenly Father feeds them. 
Are you not worth more than they are?"
- Matthew 6:26

"Do not two sparrows sell for a coin of small value? 
Yet not one of them fall to the ground without your Father's knowledge. 
But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. 
Therefore have no fear:  you are worth than many sparrows."
- Matthew 10:29-31


Linking up with
Viewing Nature with Eileen's Saturday's Critters
Lavender Cottage's  Mosaic Monday
Our World Tuesday





No comments:

Post a Comment