Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Birding in Winter

Vernal equinox has arrived (March 20 this year), but we're still deep in snow and it keeps snowing recently. So I can say that we're still into winter birding. An extension of our winter birding, if I may add. Yes, even in winter, there are lots of birds  around here too,  many of them flock to the feeders that people maintain in their private yards.



bullfinches





However, hubby and I, as some of the advanced birders/photographers in our city, prefer to travel to the wild and search for the rare birds spotted by those who make the daily rounds in some local patches or biotopes for ornithological reports. These places include wide fields, frozen lakes and rivers, and old thick forests of conifers.











Since these places are mostly blanketed with layers of untouched snow, it's quite hard to get there without sinking deep into the soft snow. So we need gadgets to traverse the area that leads to our destination, such as these snow shoes. They prevent us from sinking and help keep our balance.







They're cool and lightweight!




European crested tit



One time, as we crossed a frozen river to get to an island to look for a certain woodpecker specie,  we stumbled upon this snow mobile in the middle of the river. We stopped for a picture-taking, with me sitting there and hubby as my photographer, just for the fun of it. At least, I tried to sit on a snow mobile!






blue tits



Here's one trail on this island that we visited.





In searching for a rare owl and another kind of a rare woodpecker, we had to use our snow shoes to access the woods where they stay. The snow here is so thick that it's almost impossible to make one's way into the forest, especially for those who are carrying cameras with huge lenses and mounted on equally huge and heavy tripods. But hubby fixed a trail for the other birders by treading hard on the snow and making it compact. Our friend took pictures of me and hubby as we headed to the woods.






I'll post the birds that we found during this particular trek in my future blog.

Our winter birding is not only about searching for birds, but also about being out in the wild, connecting with nature which de-stresses and rejuvenates us, having a good exercise while walking strenuously in the snow, and spending time with nature-loving friends.  It's also about appreciating and enjoying the wonders of creation that our loving Creator generously presented to us.





Linking up with







21 comments:

  1. Wonderful photos Charlene! ... Congratulations!
    Thanks for sharing.
    A hug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are in some tough hiking areas, but I too get excited with bird sightings. A friend teases me and asks what tiny bird I chased lately. I am in Iowa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, what a beautiful world you live in! The snowy scenes are just gorgeous. I love the Bullfinches and the Blue Tits. I hope you saw the owl and woodpecker! Enjoy your day, have a great weekend ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The last part of your post describes why I love getting out on my hikes. Of course it's much easier hiking in the woods here in Florida...less strenuous! But it's so wonderful to see birds and all kinds of wildlife! I took wildflower pics today but aren't very happy with them! I'll go back soon though! LOVE your photos. That first bird doesn't look real it's so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my the wintry scenes are incredible, so do the bird shots.

    Worth a Thousand Words

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photos. I would love to try snowshoeing sometime. The beauty and solitude must be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glorious photos from your treks into the wild.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You really are out in the wild! Nice that you are so active and involved in birding. Thanks for linking up today. I really like those bullfinches.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The birds are beautifully coloured

    ReplyDelete
  10. You must stay in great shape trekking through all the snow. Your photos are fantastic and I especially love how colourful the birds are against the winter light and snow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved your bird shots and the snowy landscapes, too. Snow shoes are a great invention!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello, I just love your beautiful Bullfinches. Lovely captures. Those snowshoes are cool, great for the outdoor snow walks. Gorgeous winter scenes and wonderful photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend. PS, thank you for the comment and visit to my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely snowy scenes. I didn't think you'd beat the Bullfinch pictures, but then you posted a Crested Tit!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are fantastic images proving that winter can be as beautiful as any other season! I didn't realize birds hung around snowy places.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow - your shots are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The birds are adorable, the shots of the snow is impressive. That's a lot of snow.

    We feed the birds year around. They are most fun to watch. A big Awww.

    Thank you for joining the Awww Mondays Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Awww Monday. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful photos. Those birds - they're adorable!
    Thanks for linking up at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2019/03/our-orchids-are-showing-off.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. The winter landscape looks absolutely incredible. Wow!! Loved your photographs :D

    ReplyDelete