Sunday, February 5, 2012

Solar Storm and Auroras


Later part of January.


It has come to pass. But we don't know what's coming next. The news said it's the strongest solar storm  so far this year. Maybe something more massive would occur again later. People are scared of its impact on earth. Would our home planet be burned to ashes? Would a shower of radioactive solar particles melt humans to death?

Here's a link to some news about this solar flare:  Solar Storm News

Personally, I have nothing to worry about this because I have faith in the promises of our loving Creator, which I'm quoting here.


"He has founded the earth upon its established places;
It will not be made to totter to time indefinite, or forever." (Psalm 104:5)


"The righteous themselves will possess the earth,
And they will reside forever upon it." (Psalm 37:29)


Refreshing assurances they certainly are!

On the other hand, this solar storm has brought beautiful gifts of dancing lights to nature-lovers. Most countries around the arctic circle have been entertained by a series of such colorful shows in the night sky. Here are some pictures from Sweden, Finland and Norway, which I gathered from different sites, credits and links included.



(Solar storm illuminates the skies with auroras 
Peter Rosén in Sweden captured the aurora 
produced from the geomagnetic storm on the night of January 24-25. 
Rosén shared the image with NASA. Image courtesy: NASA / Peter Rosén)








Aurora over Northern Norway, January 22, 2012
Credit:  Øystein Lunde Ingvaldsen




The northern lights in January 24 were supposed to be visible throughout the whole Sweden, even in the south, since it was rated "extreme", but unfortunately, the impenetrable snow clouds obscured our view. Good for them in the upper north where the sky was clear and almost cloudless.

Nevertheless, I was blessed enough to have seen how the sun looked like during that day of the geomagnetic storm. I was on my way to work when the flare caught my eyes, and so I scurried to find a vantage point for a capture just around the building where I worked. The photos below are the best I could get.  No more time to go to a better location, but I'm happy with these humble images that I captured.












Some things may sound scary, but on the flip side of the coin, we see beauty.

I take the opportunity to enjoy all the natural beauty around me, and not let the horrible things drive me to sadness, hopelessness and insanity.

...for I strongly believe that one day soon, our caring Almighty God will bring all the forces of nature under control so that they will no longer cause any calamities on earth. He will establish a new world order where righteous mankind will enjoy life and all the beauty that will fill the whole planet, and give glory to God forever.