Monday, January 28, 2019

"Moonstruck!" : the Blood Moon of 2019

This is a 24-hour celestial drama with the moon as the main character.

The story begins with the setting of the moon that was just hours away from becoming a Wolf Moon.




I watched from our balcony on this extremely cold morning of January 20, starting at around 8:00 a.m.

The moon augmented more and more as it neared the horizon.




As I watched and took pictures, I noticed that the lunar disk formed ridges around its edge, as opposed to a smooth disk while up in the sky, and it truly looked like a blazing ball.




I watched until the last glow faded away.




At noon, hubby and I drove to a nearby cape for our usual photowalk. Shortly thereafter, we saw the enormous moon rising behind the trees, almost transparent and yet enchanting.




We proceeded to the sea afterward. The moon had ascended higher by the time we got there.




It sailed smoothly across the pink layer of the sky....




....toward the airplane that was getting ready for the landing.




The sky shifted colors to deep blue and purple as the moon journeyed on.




For one last time before we left the place, I took a few up-close shots of this luminary that held me spellbound and which would soon be eclipsed as it would pass through the earth's shadow.






The night advanced and deepened. At home, the moon was not visible from our side of the building. After preparing some warm winter clothes in case I had to go out of our apartment to capture the blood moon and after setting my alarm clock at 4:30 a.m., I retired for the night.

January 21 arrived. I checked through our kitchen window for the moon. Yes, it was viewable from our kitchen and balcony! I didn't have to go out after all, only to our balcony where I could set up my tripod.

The total duration of the eclipse would be 5 hours and 12 minutes, but I started to shoot from the partial eclipse, skipping the penumbral phase. I planned to shoot every 15 minutes, taking a nap in between shots. In some instances, I overslept, thus missing some of the phases.




When the partial eclipse was ending, thin clouds gathered around the lunar disk. It was still a  beautiful sight though.







I went back to sleep in the sofa while waiting for the moonset just like the other day. When I awoke, the moon was gone and broad daylight greeted my searching, sleepy eyes.

That's okay. I was satisfied with the entire drama. It was an amazing 24-hour lunar show that got me "moonstruck"!

It's a one-of-a-kind drama that silently declares the glory of the One who created it.

"He has made the moon for appointed times."
(Psalm 104:19a, Psalm 19:1)


super blood wolf moon 2019


P.S. 
Sometimes, birds are also bedazzled by the moon. 😊😊





Linking up with





8 comments:

  1. Wowza! I didn't see it in person, but you gave me what I missed. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. there was too much clouds for me to see this one. Thanks for sharing your shots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly it was not visible here

    Mollyx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, beautiful photos of the amazing moon! What a wonderful lunar adventure you had.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The moons are great but I love the blue atmosphere where a solitary human walks on the shore <)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you had a ring-side seat for the eclipse! Thanks for sharing your great images for those of us that didn't get to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful series of moon shots! I too fell asleep during my photo shoot and gave up just after the point of totality!

    ReplyDelete