Thursday, September 30, 2010

The First Frost

It came this past Monday, the 27th of September. When I woke up early in the morning, I was conscious of the semi-warm light that seeped through the window blinds. I had the feeling that this would  be a fine day.  I pulled up the blinds, and the first things that caught my eyes were the tiny blades of grass coated all over with frosts. The lawn and the bushes were almost white with frosts.



The trees and their twigs and leaves stood still sans any movement at all. Apparently, they too were "petrified" by the frosts. The sky was clear and started to manifest a warm glow as the sun radiated from the horizon and gradually set out on its journey across the sky.





And yet, the air was icy. I shivered when I got out to our backyard to take a few macro photos of the frosted grass and any vegetation that caught my fancy, and these pictures are some of what I captured.


frosted blades of grass

a kind of flower-bearing bush

tansies

rowan berries

rowan / mountain ash leaves

blades of grass catching the sunlight

On my way to the bus stop where I could take a ride to my language school (SFI or Swedish for Immigrants), my layers of fall clothes were unable to protect me from the chilly air. But then, I still managed to stop for a few moments and look at some frosted things along my way and shoot those I found interesting.








When I got to school, the scene below greeted me . The frosted grass in the foreground  remained in stark contrast against the bright trees already basking in the warmth of the sun.




Several maple leaves have fallen, some had gotten rid of their frost while others still kept their icy fringes.


Indeed,  frosty autumn is well along, and it looks like winter will come early this year. Meanwhile, when the sun is out and the sky is clear, I must take the opportunity to relish their warmth in juxtaposition to my delectation of the frosty mornings.

3 comments:

  1. Your blog is beautiful, and your photography, amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have your fist frost while we have not yet seen our last. Too early to plant tomatoes although it is thought to be safe in Oct.

    Lovely photos of all that sugar frosting. I know you got very cold but who can resist all that glory?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those macro shots are amazing! We have finally emerged from winter to spring, but only just.

    ReplyDelete